Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas and New Years

Christmas came and went and took New Years Eve with it. The holidays seem to have gone by fast and sifting through 400 pictures to pic ones to edit and post might take a little more time to accomplish then motivation I can muster this weekend, but we'll see what I can do. Thank you to everyone for the great holidays.

To tide you over until I get more pictures posted I will give you a recipe for a soup I created this evening. It was enormously delicious.

Pureed Red Lentil soup with a fruit kicker

- 1/4 cup or lump of butter
- a small onion
- a peeled potato
- a peeled carrot or two
- a peeled parsnip or two
- a peeled apple
- a peeled pear
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup of soy milk
- 1 1/2 cups of water (I might have used 2 1/2 cups actually)
- a heaping teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin
- a teaspoon of paprika

In a medium pot on medium heat melt the butter and add onions and all other fruit and vegetables cut into cubes. Let cook until onions are translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. Add 1/2 cup of rinsed red lentils. Add soy milk and water and spices. Stir and let simmer till everything is soft about 25 min. Once everything is soft blend soup until it looks like a milkshake. Add more liquid if a thinner soup is desired. I liked the consistency I got and cooked the soup with the lid on most of the time. This probably makes enough for 4 servings.

Many things could be substituted in this recipe like the soy milk with milk and the butter with olive oil and water with stock but this is what we had and it was really good. I will be posting again soon.

Love T

No comments:

Post a Comment