Sunday, January 30, 2011

Porkchop Night


Porkchop Night
Originally uploaded by The Tedster

I like this. I had fun creating a brine for the pork chop and enjoyed the suspense of whether or not it would taste good. Discovering I had cooked the meat just enough and roasted the potatoes so that they got golden brown spots just added to my happiness. Then came the actual taste test. I was hooked, it was delicious.

I made a salty, brown sugar, and apple with cloves and pepper brine. Boiled it, cooled it and left the pork in it for 5 hours in the fridge. I added more sugar than salt to the brine and it made an addictingly sweet hunk of meat.

I surprise myself a fair amount actually. It's like a competition with myself; how delicious can I make food taste today? It may just be my low expectations and the anticipation of tasting what I created. I rarely follow a recipe, I consider them just guidance and leave most tasting until the final product is made. I find it all adds to the final enjoyment of the meal. Top it off with a beer and it was a great evening. Now back to the homework I have been avoiding. (Maybe that's why I enjoy cooking!)

- T

1 comment: